Things We Do in the Dark by Jennifer Hillier

Things We Do in the Dark
☆☆☆☆
.ePUB, 341 pages
Expected Publication: 19 Jul 2022
By: St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books

About The Book:
When Paris Peralta is arrested in her own bathroom—covered in blood, holding a straight razor, her celebrity husband dead in the bathtub behind her—she knows she'll be charged with murder. But as bad as this looks, it's not what worries her the most. With the unwanted media attention now surrounding her, it's only a matter of time before someone from her long hidden past recognizes her and destroys the new life she's worked so hard to build, along with any chance of a future. Twenty-five years earlier, Ruby Reyes, known as the Ice Queen, was convicted of a similar murder in a trial that riveted Canada in the early nineties. Reyes knows who Paris really is, and when she's unexpectedly released from prison, she threatens to expose all of Paris's secrets. Left with no other choice, Paris must finally confront the dark past she escaped, once and for all. Because the only thing worse than a murder charge are two murder charges.

My Review: 
Oh how I enjoyed Little Secrets and LOVED Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier. This one though is a really hard book to rate and review. On the one hand I finished it quickly, it sucked me in and I was flipping the pages like a mad woman. On the other hand there were a lot of things that happened in this book that made me have to give the author a break and suspend my belief a little bit...It was such a wild ride though. There is not one person to cheer for in this story, they're all pretty much deplorables and much of the plot is sickening. Says a lot about me that I was really into it. We get multiple points of view and a unique take on the before and after format, that I really liked as well. There is a lot going on in this one and multiple threads but the author manages to seamlessly tie them all together. I figured out some of the twists, but the final reveal got me and I liked getting the full backstory, I found it interesting, shocking and explanatory. Shout out to fellow Torontonian Jennifer Hillier for another masterful thriller.

Disclosure:
With many thanks to NetGalley, Jennifer Hillier and St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books for the giving of the ARC.

#NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa