Iris in the Dark by Elissa Grossell Dickey

Iris in the Dark
☆☆☆1/2
.PDF 271 pages
Expected Publication: 07 Jun 2022
By: Lake Union Publishing

About The Book:
Iris Jenkins knows that bad things happen. She’s tried to escape these things for years. So when Iris is entrusted to house-sit at a lodge on the South Dakota prairie, she thinks she’s prepared for anything. But one surprise is Sawyer Jones, the property’s neighbor and caretaker. He’s a caring, reassuring presence who’s making her feel safe and alive again. Then late one night, Iris hears a chilling cry for help coming from a walkie-talkie buried in a box of toys. As the calls get more desperate, personal, and menacing, Iris realizes the person on the other end isn’t reaching out for help. They’re reaching out to terrorize her. Now the only way for Iris to move forward in life is to confront the past she’s been running from…a threat that has now followed her into the dark.

My Review:
Sometimes when we can’t see light anywhere, we need to make it for ourselves. 
We need to reach deep within and find that light, and carry it for those who can’t.

This is my first book by Ms. Dickey and I was very pleased with the author's writing style. This is a hard book to tie to any one genre. On GoodReads it is listed as a thriller and on NetGalley it is listed as women's fiction...I guess it could be both. There is definitely a mystery vibe, a touch of romance and a whole lot of drama. The plot is kinda creepy as Iris, the main character, starts hearing things from a long abandoned walkie talkie. I liked the the author tells this story as it is incredibly intense and had me glued to the pages. Although I guessed some of the twists there was the one at the end that I did not see coming and that pushed me to round up to four stars.  I also liked that this was a short book (202 pages on my tablet) with short chapters, it made it a quick read with tension that pops off the page. I thoroughly enjoyed this one as it wasn't what I was expecting at all. I also want to add that I love the cover, it is spot on.

Disclosure:
With many thanks to NetGalley, Elissa Grossell Dickey and Lake Union Publishing for the giving of the ARC.

#IrisInTheDark #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa