Little Wing by Freya North

Little Wing
☆☆☆
.PDF, 382 pages
Expected Publication: 20 Jan 2022
By: Welbeck Publishing UK

About The Book:
Little Wing is the powerful story of two families over three generations. In the 1960s, a pregnant 16-year-old is banished to one of the remotest parts of the UK. Years later, Nell and Dougie are both at critical moments in their lives when their paths cross. Between Camden, Colchester and the Outer Hebrides, the three story lines collide when secrets are uncovered and answers sought. Little Wing is a novel about resilience, forgiveness and the true meaning of family, about finding one's place in the world and discovering how we all belong somewhere and to someone.

My Review:
We can’t understand a person unless we know the content of their memories

This book is so sad but there is a lot of love throughout as well. I love these kind of books, looking into the past just may be the way to improving your future...This is the story of Nell and her family. Nell decides to trackdown an unknown aunt and some family surprises are found out along the way. This is told in two timelines, 1969 and 2005. We have three main narrators as well, Florence, Nell and Douglas (Dougie). 

This is my very first book by Freya North and she has such a popular catalog of stories to choose from, I don't know what took me so long! This was written from the heart and it broke my soul in places and at some points it put it back together again. I loved learning about Scotland and the areas surrounding Isle of Harris...I could picture the sea and smell the peat. Not only did I feel like I was there but I felt the emotions as well. Ms. North's writing puts you into the book and into the lives of her characters. The story is compelling, the writing lyrical and I found the entire thing so emotional. This book was truly an exceptional read and I loved every minute of it.
 
The baby in the book is nicknamed Little Wing after the Jimi Hendrix song, which I love. 
I would be remiss if I didn't add it here.
Well she's walking through the clouds
With a circus mind that's running wild
Butterflies and zebras
And moonbeams and a fairy tale
That's all she ever thinks about
Riding the wind
When I'm sad she comes to me
With a thousand smiles she gives to me free
It's alright she says...it's alright
Take anything you want from me
Anything
Fly on little wing
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Fly on little wing
Jimi Hendrix, Little Wing

Disclosure:
With many thanks to NetGalley, Freya North and Welbeck Publishing UK for the giving of the ARC.

#LittleWingBook #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa