Spring House by Mary Ellen Taylor


☆☆☆☆
Kindle Edition, 364 pages
Published July 9th 2019 by Montlake Romance
About the Book:
Pregnant and still grieving the death of her fiancé, historian Megan Buchanan is forging ahead on a dream project: to restore to its original glory the landmark hunting lodge her own great-great-grandfather built on Virginia’s Eastern Shore. With the help of her fiancé’s caring best friend, it’s sure to draw much-needed tourist revenue to Cape Hudson, a town rich in southern history. However, it’s Spring House, the caretaker’s cottage on the grounds, that holds the most intriguing history for Megan. In a cache of old letters, she’s drawn into the captivating life of a young woman who embarked on her own dream adventure a century ago. With each one, Megan is swept away into her enthralling world—and all its secrets. But Megan has secrets too. Now, as one woman’s past unfolds in each revealing letter, Megan will discover more about herself and about the emotional tides of family that can be weathered with those you love and trust the most.


I would have loved to have given this book five stars but the now chapters were disproportionate to the historical chapters, there were too many and they were much too long. I much prefered the history of Diane and her story, as you will see in my full review, below.

My simple words cannot explain the feeling after reading this story. I call it a story because it was more than just a book. I was so glad I took the time to savour this book and I recommend you do the same...you will not be disappointed.

Mary Ellen Taylor's characters are so relatable that they feel like family and you find yourself anxiously turning pages to see how they fare. The author has a great sense of what love does to a person from feeling none, to developing a deep love, how it makes you feel, act and the things you do either unconsciously or purposefully when it affects you.

I love that the author has invented an entirely believable and yet incredible story. Yes, the theme has been explored and written about many times, but not quite like this lovely historical fiction version. There's just enough history to whet my mind, just enough southerness to whet my travel-need, and loads of love story to fill my heart.

The descriptions put me right into the story, it all felt so real and kept me interested...I want to know more, this book took me away to another time and place. Fans of historical fiction will find themselves wrapped up in this beautifully told story.

Thank you NetGalley, Mary Ellen Taylor and Montlake for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#SpringHouse #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman