A Mother's Loss (The Secrets of Suburbia Book 4) by Jo Crow


☆☆☆☆
Kindle Edition, 432 pages
Published June 27th 2019 by Relay Publishing
About the Book:
Child psychologist Dr. Karen Marks relates well with her young clients when it comes to loss. After all, she’s no stranger to painful life experiences. Despite the adversities she’s weathered, Karen works hard to serve Chicago’s troubled youth. But maintaining the perfect façade becomes impossible when the past crawls from the woodwork and threatens the life she’s worked so hard to create. First come the allegations from former students against her deceased husband. As the vicious and unfounded news goes public, Karen’s counseling schedule dries up overnight and she can’t help but feel like she’s being watched. But then a new client walks into her office—his appearance so like her missing son’s, that for a moment she thinks her wishes and prayers have finally been answered. But it can’t be… it’s been so long since he disappeared and this angry, violent child behaves nothing like her Luke. Yet, the resemblance is uncanny. Now Karen’s life is turned upside down as decades of unresolved issues overwhelm her, and seemingly unconnected events begin to reveal someone with sinister intentions. As threats mount, Karen must race to uncover a twisted plot that pits past guilt against any hope for the future. And the truth? It was better left buried.


Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.

This is the fourth book in the The Secrets of Suburbia Series, I read the first one but not two or three, there is no need to. Book four is amazing as a stand alone novel. I love Jo Crow's writing style and he has written another four star book.

I read a lot of psychological thrillers and I thought I had this one figured out really early on. I don't want to give any spoilers, but suffice it to say that there were many twists I never saw coming. I got through this one in only a couple sittings because I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I enjoyed it so much that I immediately downloaded another book from the series upon finishing it.

A Mother's Loss had me mesmerized with all the twists and turns. True to the genre of domestic thriller... nothing is as it seems. As the story unfolded, it wasn't long before I suspected what was going on BUT as I got further into the story I wasn't so sure. The last few chapters kept me glued, a roller-coaster ride that transformed the entire book. I was blown away by the ending... shocking.

Thank you NetGalley, Jo Crow and Relay Publishing for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#AmothersLoss #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa