Reen (The Sister's Secrets #2) by Katlyn Duncan


☆☆☆
ebook, 200 pages
Expected publication: January 19th 2019 by HQ Digital
About the Book:
When Reen left The Burrow eight years ago, she had no intention of returning to her idyllic seaside hometown. Withdrawn and isolated from her family after the tragic death of her father, there was no reason to stay. But when her sister, Rose, reaches out with news about their mother she has no choice but to go back. Forced to confront her demons she runs into her childhood sweetheart, Brody, who still sends her heart into a flutter. But can Reen finally learn let go of the past and find the happiness she truly deserves?


Reading this story totally captured my imagination with the beautiful prose of Ms. Duncan. I really wanted to love this book. Unfortunately, I had difficulty connecting with main character, Reen. The plot also moved at a pace I found slow and difficult to work through. I did find the writing beautifully descriptive though.

This is relatively easy and shorter read. I finished it, but I never really felt a huge hook that kept me wanting more, or kept me on edge guessing what was going on. I found reading this to be, choppy, I really did not feel there was a smooth glide to the story or characters. It wasn't bad by any means it just was lacking more depth maybe or more meat. I felt the characters were shallow and the ones with more depth and humanity weren't quite enough to balance it out and give us the humanity that would hook us more. I also found the dialog bogged down the story instead of helping it blossom.

I'm disappointed that I didn't like this one more because I really wanted to. It was just missing that certain element that keeps me hooked and since I didn't feel a connection to the characters, it was hard to continue on with a slow plot. The cover is beautiful, but unfortunately, the inside wasn't quite as nice. Maybe I have to read book three to get the whole story? Sometimes being book two, in a trilogy, isn't always a good thing.

Thank you NetGalley, HQ Digital, and Katlyn Duncan for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheSistersSecretsReen #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman