The Spite Game by Anna Snoekstra


☆☆☆☆
Kindle Edition, 336 pages
Expected publication: October 30th 2018 by MIRA
About the Book:
Everyone does bad things when no one is watching.
Mercilessly bullied in high school, Ava knows she needs to put the past behind her and move on, but she can’t—not until she’s exacted precise, catastrophic revenge on the people who hurt her the most. First, she watches Saanvi. Flawlessly chic and working hard at a top architectural firm, Saanvi has it all together on the surface. But everyone does bad things when they think no one is watching and Ava only wants what’s fair—to destroy Saanvi’s life the way her own was destroyed. Next, she watches Cass. She’s there as Cass tries on wedding dresses, she’s there when Cass picks out a cake, she’s there when Cass betrays her fiancé. She’s the reason Cass’s entire future comes crashing down. Finally, Ava watches Mel. Mel was always the ringleader and if anyone has to pay, it’s her. But one tiny slipup and Ava realizes the truth: Mel knows she’s being watched, and she’s ready to play Ava’s games to the bitter end.


When I was a kid they called me different. When I was a teenager they said I was wild. When I was a young woman they called me eccentric. When I turned sixty I was batty. Now they say I’m demented. I’ve always thought the best way to live is to embrace your crazy. I’ll tell you now it’s always a hell of a lot more fun.

I was a little sheepish to read this title because it comes across as maybe a bit YA. Boy was I wrong! I REALLY enjoyed this book, my first by Anna Snoekstra.

 I liked the premise, the story line and the fast pace. Anna Snoekstra writes with lots of detail and sensitivity. I loved how the characters thought and how they played. The possibilities and permeabilities of the story kept me wanting more. I liked how the author showed how physical abuse can take a toll.

The story centers on Ava and her want of revenge against the three bullies from highschool. Saanvi, Cass and Mel. As the reader gets further into the story we learn more about all four women. It’s hard to say too much more about the actual storyline itself. To do so would give too much away. It’s one of those books that will have you wishing your friends were reading it at the same time so you can compare your thoughts.

The Spite Game is an enthralling novel and once it grabs you, it doesn’t let go. It is a dark and tense read that will have you tearing through the pages to unravel more about the characters.

Thank you NetGalley, HARLEQUIN - MIRA and Anna Snoekstra for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheSpiteGame #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa