The Dead Ex by Jane Corry

35560059_SY180
Kindle Edition, 400 pages
Published August 2nd 2018 by Penguin
☆☆☆☆
About the Book:
Vicki's husband David once promised to love her in sickness and in health. But after a brutal attack left her suffering with epilepsy, he ran away with his mistress. So when Vicki gets a call one day to say that he's missing, her first thought is 'good riddance'. But then the police find evidence suggesting that David is dead. And they think Vicki had something to do with it. What really happened on the night of David's disappearance? And how can Vicki prove her innocence, when she's not even sure of it herself?


I ignore the question because the true answer would make me look like one of those pathetic divorcees who can’t get over their exes. Which I suppose I am.
The story starts out with Vicki in February 2018 and flips back and forth with Scarlet in 2006. Half way through a story line with Helen stars in 2017. I liked reading about young Scarlet and her problems and adventures more than anything. I think a whole novel could have been focused on her.

A court can dissolve a marriage. But it can’t do the same to the heart.
Jane Corry's writing is so very easy to read, she writes interestingly of relationships, both the dizzying heights of new love and the vicious, and toxic disintegration of those same romances. She cleverly weaves past and present so as not to give the whole plot away, while at the same time building characters that we love, despise or love to dispise.

I love him and I hate him. How is that possible? I want them to find his body. But I’m terrified too.
This was a riveting book which kept me interested all the way through. There are a number of twists and turns and the writer is careful to reveal information slowly to the reader to add to the suspense, although in some places it is obvious that sections have been worded carefully to make the reader think one way when something else is true. There were subtle hints throughout which could lead a reader to the correct conclusion, although I was able to work out certain smaller twists before they happened, it was only towards the end of the novel that everything slotted into place for me and I was able to predict the final outcome.

57ecefb6_487b_4f7c_bd87_a441cbfe24e1_CR0_0_220_220_PT0_SX220f9c14fcc_8966_449b_8d4e_6e886e63da37_CR0_0_220_220_PT0_SX220

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa