Maureen (Harold Fry #3) by Rachel Joyce

💐💐
Print Length: 192 pages
Expected Publication: February 7, 2023
By: Random House Publishing Group | Dial Press Trade Paperback
Goodreads | Amazon

About The Book:
Only she can finish the journey her husband started.
Maureen and Harold Fry have settled into a quiet life, but when an unexpected message from the North disturbs their peaceful equilibrium, Maureen realizes that it’s now her turn to make a journey. But she is not like her affable, easygoing husband. By turns outspoken, then vulnerable, she struggles to form bonds with the people she meets—and the landscape she crosses has radically changed. Maureen has no sense of what she will find at the end of the road. All she knows is that she has to get there.



My Review:
I loved both The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy from this series but the final one left me feeling very disappointed. I couldn't connect to the main character, Maureen, at all and frankly, I was quite bored sometimes while reading this one. It was very repetitive in the fact that Maureen whines and complains and gets angry over and over again. Rachel Joyce usually writes about the ordinary in an extraordinary way but this one just fell flat.

I understand what the author was trying to do giving Maureen a voice to her grief at the loss of her son. While Harold walked during his journey Maureen chooses to drive and we are subjected to a lot of internal dialogue and not much interaction with others and what we do get is complaints and whining. I think that's the biggest difference between these stories.

This was a short book and I was able to read it in a single sitting and it does not work as a stand-alone. If you've read the other two books you might be curious to read this one just to get some closure of some sort but other than that I cannot recommend it.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the Advance Readers Copy.

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

  1. I felt the same way. It was good for Maureen to have her voice in the story but I prefered the first two books. I miss seeing you on Twitter but I don't miss the changes to Twitter after Musk bought it. At least I can keep up via Goodreads or your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa