Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

🏚️🏚️🏚️🏚️🏚️
Print Length: 288 pages
Publication Date: January 1, 2003
(Originally Published in June 1979)
By: Beacon Press
Goodreads | Amazon

About The Book:
The first science fiction written by a black woman, Kindred has become a cornerstone of black American literature. This combination of slave memoir, fantasy, and historical fiction is a novel of rich literary complexity. Having just celebrated her 26th birthday in 1976 California, Dana, an African-American woman, is suddenly and inexplicably wrenched through time into antebellum Maryland. After saving a drowning white boy there, she finds herself staring into the barrel of a shotgun and is transported back to the present just in time to save her life. During numerous such time-defying episodes with the same young man, she realizes the challenge she’s been given.

My Review:
I have had this book on my to-be-read shelf for nine years. It was the release of the Hulu series that encouraged me to read it now. I always have to read the book before I watch the TV show or movie as I like to go into a book knowing very little and let my imagination do the thinking for me. I am kicking myself for waiting so long to read this. Science Fiction or Fantasy is not really my thing but I love historical fiction and had heard many great things about this book. They weren't wrong and I was so pleasantly surprised. I also promised myself last year that I would think a little more outside the box, and my usual genres. Am I ever glad I did as I was rewarded with an amazing adventure.

What an excellent way to start my reading year, a five-star read! I managed this one in a couple of sittings as I was engrossed in the simplistic writing style and the way the characters were all both good and evil, it made them well-rounded and true to life. I was enamoured with the way the varying relationships were written as well as the dialogue. Butler is a master of the genre and I cannot wait to read her other works. All. The. Stars.

This title is currently available for purchase.

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa