The Last Thing She Remembers by J.S. Monroe


☆☆☆
ebook, 416 pages
Expected publication: May 28th 2019 by Park Row Books
First Published as Forget My Name On: October 4th 2018
About the Book:
Who can you trust if you don't know who you are? She arrives at the train station only to realize her bag had been stolen--her passport, credit cards, laptop, house key now all gone. And even more disturbing, when she goes to report the incident, she can't recall her own name. All she has on her is a train ticket home.Suffering from stress-induced amnesia, the woman without a name is a source of mystery when she appears at the sleepy Wiltshire village where she thought she lived. She quickly becomes a source of conspiracy and fear among the townspeople. Why does one think he recognizes her from years earlier? And why do the local police take such a strong interest in her arrival?From the critically acclaimed author of Find Me comes a shocking new tale of dark pasts and deception, leaving us breathlessly analyzing the role memory plays in defining who we are--and who others think we might be.


This was a half way decent novel with an interesting story-line. There was a lot going on in this book and I do mean a lot. It was a psychological thriller that I would rank as average among other books in the same category. Some parts of the story were confusing and forced me to suspend belief at certain points along the way, which is not a favourite book trait for me. What I love about psychological thrillers is the ability to twist a scenario to make it crazy, but believable. Tony and Jemma were both characters that weren't likable or reliable so I can't say I was really cheering anyone on.

The first half was excellent, a compelling page turner that had me up until the wee hours to finish it and I did read it in one sitting. I genuinely had no clue where the story was going (and I pride myself on my ability to solve mysteries long before the end) and then I discovered that I couldn't solve it because the end felt seriously contrived with not enough lead up to make the conclusion really believable.

This was a very easy book to read. I think that it had a nice overall flow. I liked the short chapters that kept the pace of the book feeling quite rapid. I thought that alternate perspectives were worked into the story exactly when they were most effective. I do think that many readers will enjoy this book a bit more than I did. It is a fast paced story that has quite a few exciting moments. I would definitely pick up more of J.S. Monroe's work in the future.

Thank you NetGalley, Park Row Books and J.S. Monroe for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheLastThingSheRemembers #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa