Dear Lily by Drew Davies


☆☆☆☆☆
Kindle Edition, 281 pages
Expected publication: May 17th 2019 by Bookouture
About the Book:
Dear Lily,
It’s me, Joy, your much wiser and (very slightly) older sister. I thought I’d start a new tradition of letter writing – now that we’re long distance. On the plane over here, I began to cry in seat 21C. I think the magnitude of it finally hit me, after everything that happened. I haven’t even unpacked yet – the only thing I’ve taken out of my suitcase is Harville, your beloved childhood teddy. Sorry for stealing him, but I need him more than you do. Every time I look at that little brown bear I think about our childhood. Remember that dance we made up to Annie’s ‘It’s a Hard Knock Life’? (Remember the broom choreography?) I’m also sorry for abandoning you – I’ve always been your agony aunt, and a buffer in your infamous shouting matches with Mum. But I had to leave, Lily, I had to. Anyway, I’m here now. I’m here to start over, and to face up to the past. I want to learn to laugh again, and to find someone to love who will maybe even love me back. You always told me I was just getting by, not actually living, so I’m finally doing it. Wish me luck, little sister.
Love,
Joy x


This book is basically a love letter from one sister to another, and all I can say is WOW. The writing is vivid, eloquent, and fluid. The characters are complex, quirky, and authentic. And the plot is a series of engaging, at times humorous subplots that unfold into an amusing, unputdownable story about life, loss, love, familial drama, secrets, misunderstandings, friendship, romance, acceptance, hope, and unconditional love.

Overall, Dear Lily is thoughtful, emotive, funny and endearing and with its rich characterization and beautiful story-line, it’s another stunning example of how Drew Davies has this unique ability to tie the threads of words in a beautiful way that always has me longing for more. This story will make you laugh and cry and was written with warmth, from the heart and with lovable characters that make this book a wonderful read. I enjoyed it totally and recommend it wholly.

Thank you NetGalley, Bookouture and Drew Davies for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#DearLily #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa