When You Were Mine by Lisa Swift


☆☆☆☆
Kindle Edition, 313 pages
Published August 14th 2019 by Hera Books
About the Book:
Maggie and Ibby make up a happy – if unconventional – family. After meeting at university, they now live in the village of Applecroft on the beautiful West Country coast. Okay, so Ibby’s gay and prone to disastrous dates, while couples’ counsellor Maggie spends her days helping people with their relationship problems despite having no sex life of her own. Nevertheless, they’re devoted to bringing up teenage daughter Amelia – the result of a drunken one-night stand when they were students – in a stable and loving family. Until a face from the past – in the form of hard-partying rock star Jordan Nash – disrupts their quiet lives. As Jordan struggles with his personal demons and old secrets are revealed, can Maggie and Ibby stay strong? Or will bringing back the past threaten all that they’ve built in the present?

She's kind of a metaphor for lost futures.
The lives we might’ve lived if we’d chosen another path.
Oh how that cover pulled me in and I loved the inside too! I loved the characters, setting, and plot. Also, it was very well written. I usually don’t read a lot of romance books or LGBT for that matter but I’m sooo glad I read this one. It is always nice to expand your reading preferences, especially when you are pleasantly surprised to find you loved it. I ended up reading it one day because I couldn’t stop. When You Were Mine is a delightful and heartfelt novel about finding love and what it means to be a family. The narrative is easy to get lost in, the voice of the characters are believable and heartfelt. All that they went through, it’s like I was there. Lisa Swift did such a marvelous job telling this story.

Even with a simple, romantic story-line the plot was still original and very enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I savored the book, and how the unique situation managed to still be relevant and to convey such genuine emotions. All the characters grow on you, even with limited appearances – all endearing in their own eccentric ways, and it was only natural for me to root for everyone and their happy endings.

With plenty of humor, endearing characters and unbelievably raw moments – I definitely recommend When You Were Mine for anyone who’s looking for a great read. Such a lovely story and so worth your time. Would definitely read more from this author. ❤️

Thank you NetGalley, Lisa Swift and Hera Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#WhenYouWereMine #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman