Tear Me Apart by J.T. Ellison

36839879_SY180
Kindle Edition, 496 pages
Published August 28th 2018 by MIRA

About the Book:
Tear Me Apart is the powerful story of a mother willing to do anything to protect her daughter even as their carefully constructed world unravels around them. Competitive skier Mindy Wright is a superstar in the making until a spectacular downhill crash threatens not just her racing career but her life. During surgery, doctors discover she’s suffering from a severe form of leukemia, and a stem cell transplant is her only hope. But when her parents are tested, a frightening truth emerges. Mindy is not their daughter. The race to save Mindy’s life means unraveling years of lies. Was she accidentally switched at birth or is there something more sinister at play? The search for the truth will tear a family apart…and someone is going to deadly extremes to protect the family’s deepest secrets.


I know I am not going to make many friends with this review as I am in the minority and this book has many four and five star ratings. This is the first book I've ever read by this author and I must say I wasn't impressed. I really felt talked down to while reading this book. It's as if the author was writing for a child and had to explain EVERY. SINGLE. THING. Not cool Ms. Ellison. I also found that a lot of the book just wasn't plausible, like the aunt knowing the password to patient files at the hospital. As a reader I found I was being asked to let too many unlikely scenarios slide and it insulted my intelligence.

This book just got worse and worse as I read on, it was just unbelievably unbelieveable. There was a lot going on in this story, many side plots and there are also three different time lines. I usually like this type of book but in this case it simply made each part of the book weak. I would have preferred that the author stick to one or two story lines, it would have made a much better novel, wouldn't have been more than 400 pages and maybe I wouldn't have guessed the big reveal a third of the way through the book. The worse part was when halfway through she just HAD to add a romance too. I am all for romance, but it just shouldn't have been part of this story; with those characters.

So let's end this on a more positive note. It was obvious the author did a lot of research on DNA and I learned a lot about bloodwork and stem cells. The idea was very unique and I did like the premise, I just wasn't a fan of the execution. At least I can knock another author off my "never read before" list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa