The Liberation of Brigid Dunne by Patricia Scanlan


☆☆☆☆
ebook, 448 pages
Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by Atria Books
About the Book:
Marie-Claire has just made the shocking discovery that her boyfriend (and business partner) is cheating on her. Reeling, she leaves her apartment in Toronto to travel home to Ireland, hoping the comfort of her family and a few familiar faces will ground her. She arrives just in time to celebrate her beloved great-aunt Reverend Mother Brigid’s retirement and eightieth birthday. It will be a long-awaited and touching reunion for three generations of her family, bringing her mother Keelin and grandmother Imelda—who have never quite gotten along—together as well. But then all hell breaks loose. Bitter, jealous Imelda makes a startling revelation at the party that forces them all to confront their pasts and face the truths that have shaped their lives. With four fierce, opinionated women in one family, will they ever be able to find common ground and move forward?


I really enjoyed this book. Even though there was a lot of religious aspects throughout I didn't feel preached to, this book showed both the good and the bad side of organized religion. It was very honest and I learned a lot. I found myself rooting for each character, even the flawed ones. The storytelling was believable and real. There was nothing sappy about it so I felt like I was in a land of truth and reality. The feeling each character had were heartfelt and I found myself identifying with elements of each character. I felt a vested interest with every page.

This is a wonderful novel that surrounds you with compassion and joy. Patricia Scanlan writes characters in a way that makes you immediately understand who they are. I feel like these people are my friends and neighbours, and honestly I miss them. Their problems are real, their reactions are real, their successes and mistakes are real. And you can't help understand that underneath the plot (which is a nice mix of heavy, light, heart wrenching and silly fun), this is a novel about how everyone needs a community and we all need family. We all need people who understand us. We all need to feel that our flaws aren't as destructive as they sometimes seem.

Thank you NetGalley, Patricia Scanlan and Atria Books for the complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

#NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa