Lucky by Marissa Stapley

Lucky
☆☆☆☆
.ePUB, 221 pages
Expected Publication: 07 Dec 2021
By Simon & Schuster Canada

About The Book:
Lucky Armstrong is a tough, talented grifter who has just pulled off a million-dollar heist with her boyfriend, Cary. She’s ready to start a brand-new life, with a new identity—when things go sideways. Lucky finds herself alone for the first time, navigating the world without the help of either her father or her boyfriend, the two figures from whom she’s learned the art of the scam. When she discovers that a lottery ticket she bought on a whim is worth millions, her elation is tempered by one big problem: cashing in the winning ticket means she’ll be arrested for her crimes. She’ll go to prison, with no chance to redeem her fortune. As Lucky tries to avoid capture and make a future for herself, she must confront her past by reconciling with her father; finding her mother, who abandoned her when she was just a baby; and coming to terms with the man she thought she loved—whose dark past is catching up with her, too.

My Review:
I really liked the format of this book, it is told via two timelines. We get Lucinda's (Lucky) childhood chapters, starting in 1995 and they lead up to her adult chapters in 2008. Even though Lucky, the adult, is what I'd call a deplorable person it seemed to me she had such a good heart and I felt so bad for her at times. I think it was because her childhood self was a good person and only wanted a "normal" life and to have her father love her and put her first. It takes talent for an author to make a reader cheer on an unlikeable character. The plot was very fast paced and I think the fact that the book is short helped with that, Stapley managed to get a lot into such few pages. 

This is my third book by this author and never seems to disappoint, I loved them all. Both Mating for Life and The Last Resort were four stars reads for me as well. It makes me really happy to support Canadian writers and Ms. Stapley from my hometown of Toronto, Ontario. I recommend everything she has written.

Disclosure:
With many thanks to NetGalley, Marissa Stapley and Simon & Schuster Canada for the giving of the ARC.

#NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa