The Trials of Koli (Rampart Trilogy #2) by M. R. Carey


☆☆☆1/2
ebook, 449 pages
Expected publication: September 15th 2020 by Orbit Books
About the Book:
The earth wants to swallow us whole...Koli never planned to set foot outside his small village. He knew that beyond its walls lay a fearsome landscape filled with choker trees, vicious beasts and Shunned men. But when he was exiled, he had no choice but to journey out into this strange world where every moment is a fight for survival. And it's not just Koli's life that is threatened. Whole villages just like his are dying out.
But Koli heard a story, once. A story about lost London, and the mysterious tech of the Old Times that may still be there. If he can find it, there may still be a way for him to change his own fate - by saving the lives of those who are left.


This book wasn’t anything at all what I expected. I’ve been dystopian fatigued and can’t bring myself to even attempt anything from that genre (Thanks Covid). But the premise of this book intrigued me enough to take a gamble. And honestly...I loved it...while still being afraid, traumatized or concerned.

This story just worked for me, I was drawn along with curiosity to see what developed. The prose was lovely. The characters were nicely developed. While there isn't necessarily a fast pace to this book, and some readers may find it boring, I did not have that issue and was totally involved in what was going on. The ending was satisfying for me as well, although it may not be for everyone as it is book two in the trilogy. I enjoyed the story and the writing and will be revisiting this series again, when number three is available.

Thank you NetGalley, Orbit Books and M. R. Carey for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The One That Got Away by Charlotte Rixon