Her Daughter's Cry (Detective Jo Fournier #3) by M.M. Chouinard


☆☆
Kindle Edition, 357 pages
Expected publication: January 23rd 2020 by Bookouture
About the Book:
Someone wants her dead, and she can’t remember why. Zoe is a wife and a mother. Or so she’s been told. Ask her for more than that and she couldn’t tell you. The blow to her head wiped her memory clean. Zoe knows the blood on her shirt isn’t just her own. After she was found stumbling out of the woods, the police ran tests. They say it belongs to her missing daughter. Zoe is trying to piece together what her daughter’s face looks like, but all she can conjure up is a white-hot panic. A fear that her child is in desperate need of her help. When a man claiming to be her husband turns up looking for her, she knows she can’t trust him. Until she gets her memories back, she can’t trust anyone. Not the stranger, not the police investigating, not even herself.


This book is very character driven and heavy on the dialogue but I had a hard time getting into it. A lot of the plot is just too unbelievable. I can suspend belief to a certain point, but there are too many convoluted story lines with too many unbelievable characters. This title is the third in a series and I haven't read the first two, but I don't think that was the problem here.

I really wanted to enjoy this book as the premise was interesting. I kept plowing on thinking it was going to make a sudden great turn but it fell so flat. Jo has issues and they get annoying as the book went on. The book started out grabbing my interest, but seemed to flounder and fall apart the farther I read. I felt like Ms. Chouinard was writing four different stories and failed to bring them together. It was an actual relief when I was finished and didn’t have to struggle making sense of things or learn more about so many flimsy, flawed characters. I don't think I will read any more of her works or any other books in this series.

Thank you NetGalley, M.M. Chouinard and Bookouture for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#HerDaughtersCry #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa