They Call Me the Cat Lady by Amy Miller


☆☆☆☆☆
ebook, 298 pages
Kindle Edition, 266 pages
Expected publication: April 26th 2019 by Bookouture
About the Book:
You’ve seen me on the street. You’ve walked past my house, and pointed, and wondered. The cat lady. All on my own, with only my five cats to keep me company. Did no-one ever tell you that you can’t judge a book by its cover? Everyone in town knows Nancy Jones. She loves her cats. She loves her tumbledown house by the sea. She loves her job in the local school where she tries to help the children who need help the most. Nancy tries hard not to think about her past loves and where those led her. Nancy never shares her secrets – because some doors are better kept locked. But one day she accepts a cat-sitting request from a local woman, and at the woman’s house, Nancy sees a photograph, in a bright-red frame. A photograph that opens the door to her painful past. Soon Nancy doesn’t know what frightens her the most: letting her story out, or letting the rest of the world in. It’s impossible to find companionship without the risk of losing it. But can Nancy take that risk again?


Put up with what you can’t change and change what you can’t put up with.

I loved this book and everything it had to offer. It is a profound book that gave insight and and meaning to behaviour and social norms that we often don't think about, but should. I think most people can relate to Nancy's character and as we follow with her though her own personal journey. The book touches on the topic of loneliness in a deep yet lighthearted way and is one of the best books I have read in awhile.

Do you know years ago, in the 1800s, women who kept cats were burned alive because everyone thought they were witches?

Amy Miller's characterization of Nancy was beautifully and sympathetically done with a love for her character. The progress of Nancy provided an engaging reading experience. I immediately was drawn in by this fascinating title character. I had to find out what had happened to her as well as what would happen to her. I couldn’t stop reading. This was a witty, well written book with many very endearing characters and qualities. I cheered for Nancy and I also cried for her.

These people, though not a conventional family, felt a little like a family she could call her own.

They Call Me the Cat Lady is an excellent read. It's so well-written - the author definitely keeps you engaged as she slips in pieces of the life Nancy has lead before but also keeps you curious about the whole story. Nancy is quirky and you just know there is some tragic history that has to lead to her peculiar habits and lifestyle. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a great story. I ❤️ The Cat Lady!

Thank you NetGalley, Bookouture and Amy Miller for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheyCallMeTheCatLady #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The One That Got Away by Charlotte Rixon