After He Died by Michael J. Malone


☆☆☆1/2
ebook, 312 pages
Expected publication: March 1st 2019 by Trafalgar Square Publishing
About the Book:
When Paula Gadd’s husband of almost thirty years dies, just days away from the seventh anniversary of their son, Christopher’s death, her world falls apart. Grieving and bereft, she is stunned when a young woman approaches her at the funeral service, and slips something into her pocket. A note suggesting that Paula’s husband was not all that he seemed. When the two women eventually meet, a series of revelations challenges everything Paula thought they knew, and it becomes immediately clear that both women’s lives are in very real danger. Both a dark, twisty slice of domestic noir and taut, explosive psychological thriller, After He Died is also a chilling reminder that the people we trust the most can harbour the deadliest secrets.


I read this book in one sitting, because I really wanted to find out what happened. I read some great reviews about this book and one reviewer added a spoiler so I kinda had an idea of what was going on. Even though I was a bit prepared, it didn't ruin the book for me.

I'm a character reader. I really get into the characters, their story, and who or what they are. The author does an amazing job of painting the two primary characters quickly and thoroughly and develops the secondary characters in the same manner. This book is in all senses of the word, a mystery and the author continues to develop the story line in such a way that you just want to keep on reading.

With a complex, intricate plot in true Michael J. Malone fashion, I was on the edge of my seat. While not entirely likable at all points, the characters are well-defined and intriguing. I don't have to necessarily like a character to be interested in the tale they have to tell. The story line is interesting enough to carry the book and the level of suspense is grabs you. The novel was very captivating, keeping me anxious and tense. It has oh so many twists and turns which made it even more enjoyable. I will definitely be reading more books by Mr. Malone.

Thank you NetGalley, Trafalgar Square Publishing, Orenda Books and Michael J. Malone for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#AfterHeDied #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The One That Got Away by Charlotte Rixon